- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups of your choice of filling (e.g. cooked and shredded pork, chicken, or beef, beans, cheese, or a combination)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the masa harina, warm water, and salt. Mix until a dough forms. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes, or until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into about 8-12 equal portions, depending on the size you prefer.
- Take one dough portion and flatten it into a disc. Place about 2 tablespoons of the filling in the center of the disc.
- Fold the disc in half to enclose the filling and press the edges to seal the pupusa.
- Use your hands to gently press and shape the pupusa into a smooth, round shape.
- Heat a griddle or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Place the pupusas on the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve warm with curtido and salsa.
You can use different fillings and adjust the amount of masa harina and water to get the desired consistency for your dough, also the cooking time may vary depending on the heat of your stove. Enjoy your homemade, from-scratch pupusas!