1 head green cabbage, finely shredded
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1 carrot, grated
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 cups warm water
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, onion, carrot, jalapeño peppers, and garlic.
- In a separate small bowl, dissolve the salt in the warm water.
- Pour the salt water over the cabbage mixture and stir until well combined.
- Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel or cheesecloth and let it sit at room temperature for 2-3 days, or until the cabbage is fermented to your liking. Stir the mixture once or twice a day.
- After 2-3 days, add the apple cider vinegar and mix well.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Transfer the curtido to a clean jar or container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Enjoy your Curtido as a side dish or topping for your pupusas or other traditional Salvadoran dishes.
- Please note that fermenting time may vary based on the temperature and humidity of your kitchen, and you should keep an eye on the fermentation process.