Want to cook along with us? Head over to our YouTube channel and watch our video where we walk you through the recipe step-by-step. Click the link below to watch the video now
Salisbury steak is a classic comfort food dish that has been enjoyed by families for decades. It is a budget-friendly, easy to make, and versatile dish that is perfect for a weeknight dinner or a family gathering. The dish is made with ground beef, herbs, and spices, that are formed into patties, and then cooked in a skillet on the stovetop and served with a rich and flavorful homemade gravy.
The origins of Salisbury steak can be traced back to the late 1800s, when Dr. James Henry Salisbury, a physician and nutritionist, developed the dish as a way to promote a high-protein diet for his patients. He believed that the dish, made with ground beef and served with gravy, would be an easy way to get his patients to consume more protein. The dish quickly gained popularity and became a staple in American cuisine.
When making Salisbury steak, it is important to select the right type of ground beef. A high-quality, lean ground beef with a high ratio of meat to fat will give the best flavor and texture. For seasoning, a combination of herbs, such as parsley, thyme, and rosemary, and spices, such as black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder, will give the patties the best flavor.
There are many variations of the recipe that you can try. You can add diced mushrooms or onions to the beef mixture for added flavor. You can also serve it with a side of macaroni and cheese, or over a bed of rice or steamed vegetables. This recipe is a versatile dish that can be adapted to suit your taste preferences.
For the gravy, you'll need a few basic kitchen tools, such as a skillet and a mixing bowl. First, you'll make a roux by melting butter in the skillet, and then adding flour to make a paste. Next, you'll add beef broth, beef bouillon, and browning sauce and whisk everything together until it thickens. This gravy is the perfect complement to the rich and savory flavor of the patties and will take the dish to a whole new level of deliciousness.
When it comes to storing and reheating leftovers, the patties and gravy can be stored separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to three days. To reheat, simply place the patties and gravy in a skillet on the stovetop and heat over low heat until they are fully heated through.
When it comes to serving suggestions, Salisbury steak pairs perfectly with mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, green beans, and roasted vegetables. It's a dish that is sure to be a hit with the entire family, and it is an easy way to get them to eat their vegetables.
In terms of nutritional information, Salisbury steak is a high-protein, low-carb dish that is perfect for those following a ketogenic or low-carb diet. It's also gluten-free and can easily be adapted for those following a paleo or Whole30 diet by using coconut flour instead of all-purpose flour.
For related recipes, you can try making your own homemade mashed potatoes, or a simple green salad to serve on the side. You can also try other classic comfort food dishes such as meatloaf or chicken pot pie.
In conclusion, Salisbury steak is a classic comfort food dish that is easy to make, budget-friendly, and versatile. It's the perfect dish for a weeknight dinner or a family gathering, and it's sure to be a hit with the entire family. With this recipe, you can make a delicious and comforting meal that's packed with high-quality protein and flavor. So, don't wait, try this recipe today, and enjoy a delicious and comforting meal tonight!
Watch Video On YouTube Here
Salisbury Steak Recipe
For The Patties:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
For The Gravy:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp beef bouillon
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp browning sauce
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, egg, onion, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Form the mixture into 4 oval-shaped patties.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the patties to the skillet and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side, or until browned and cooked through.
- Remove the patties from the skillet and set them aside on a plate.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted add the flour, stirring constantly to make a roux.
- Slowly add the beef bouillon, water and browning sauce.
- Cook the gravy until it thickens, stirring constantly.
- Return the patties to the skillet and spoon the gravy over them.
- Reduce heat to low and cover skillet. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the patties are tender and the gravy has thickened.
- Serve the Salisbury steak patties with mashed potatoes or rice, and garnish with chopped parsley if desired.
Enjoy your home made Salisbury steak with homemade gravy!